MTV Launches mtvU
It’s a tough job but someone’s got to do it.
Apparently the producers of MTV just didn’t get their fill of Greek life when they were in college. In order to relive their glory days they’ve launched mtvU an all-encompassing television network geared to university-aged couch potatoes. Featuring on-air online and on-campus components the network promises to focus content on “music programming news student life features events pro-social initiatives and more.”
Taking a cue from MTV’s existing programs like “MTV Cribs” and “The Real World” mtvU has been quick to draw viewers with its larger-than-life hip take on everything – from emerging bands to unscripted student rallies. Just take the “You Want It You Got It” contest which offers prizes that could make a rock star jealous: a full year of tuition a car with free gas or a ‘pimp my dorm room’ makeover.
Already the line-up for 2006 mtvU events is impressive. Just a few things to watch for:
- Campus MovieFest: Laptops camcorders training oh my! The world’s largest student film festival continues through spring crisscrossing the country to give more than 30,000 college students the equipment they need to make their own short movies. The best of the best will be premiered at a campus screening before moving on to regional finales – and possible mtvU.
- Student Bodies Contest: mtvU follows as Ohio State University students compete in a six-week fitness challenge to see who deserves bragging rights at Spring Break. Think of it as American Idol (you vote!) without the singing… or the nasty British dude.
- Campus Invasion ’06: Some of the top emerging artists make their rounds to earn the fan base – if not the CD profits – of poor starving college kids. This year’s tour is ripe with new talent thanks to commitments from Motion City Soundtrack Straylight Run and Hellogoodbye.
For those whose campus is out of the loop have no fear. There are still plenty of ways to get involved without leaving the comfort of your beanbag. Browsing the Web site turns up a variety of ways to sink your teeth into all things mtvU…without having to brush them first including:
- Click on the “Activism” link to not only learn about the genocide in Darfur but also to take action to make change. There’s also information on how to help victims of Hurricane Katrina and the tsunami disaster and stop global warming.
- Are your parents threatening to pull your tuition plug? Apply for grants though the Point Foundation for LGBT scholars and activists or mtvU’s start-up fund to make your student-run community service project a reality.
- Set your TiVo for your favorite mtvU shows like “Does This Look Infected?” or “Stand In” where college professors are replaced by celebrity instructors for the day – (Madonna Cameron Diaz Bill Gates Sting Snoop Dog) – much to the surprise of the class.
Not sure if your school of choice gets mtvU? There’s a place on the Web site to do a search by state. Out of luck? Just put in a request with mtvU and they’ll take care of the rest.
To learn more visit www.mtvu.com.