Timeline for Choosing a College
- Begin creating a list of potential colleges.
- Start applying for college scholarships.
- Enroll in honors and AP classes.
- Find extra-curricular activities you enjoy and seek out leadership roles.
SPRING OF JUNIOR YEAR
- Narrow down your list of colleges.
- Take the ACT or SAT.
- Confirm with guidance counselor that you’re on track to fulfill college admission requirements.
- Start visiting potential colleges.
SUMMER BEFORE SENIOR YEAR
- Research scholarships at www.studentaid.ed.gov/scholarship.
- Get a summer job or internship.
- Prepare a list of high school activities and achievements.
FALL OF SENIOR YEAR
- Organize a list of deadlines.
- Request letters of recommendation.
- Write college application essays.
- Request your guidance counselor send high school transcripts to top-choice colleges.
- Submit college applications.
SPRING OF SENIOR YEAR
- File FAFSA (www.fafsa.gov) after January 1.
- Review financial aid packages from colleges and ask questions to compare.
- Decide which college to attend.
- Submit required deposits and/or housing applications.