Timeline for Choosing a College
• Begin creating a list of potential colleges.
• Start applying for college scholarships.
• Enroll in honors and AP classes.
• Find extra-curricular activities you enjoy and seek out leadership roles.
SPRING OF JUNIOR YEAR
• Narrow down your list of colleges.
• Take the ACT or SAT.
• Confirm with guidance counselor that you’re on track to fulfill college admission requirements.
• Start visiting potential colleges.
SUMMER BEFORE SENIOR YEAR
• Research scholarships at www.studentaid.ed.gov/scholarship.
• Get a summer job or internship.
• Prepare a list of high school activities and achievements.
FALL OF SENIOR YEAR
• Organize a list of deadlines.
• Request letters of recommendation.
• Write college application essays.
• Request your guidance counselor send high school transcripts to top-choice colleges.
• Submit college applications.
SPRING OF SENIOR YEAR
• File FAFSA (www.fafsa.gov) after January 1.
• Review financial aid packages from colleges and ask questions to compare.
• Decide which college to attend.
• Submit required deposits and/or housing applications.