It’s All Greek to Me! 5 Reasons To Consider Joining a Fraternity or Sorority
THE GREEK SYSTEM HAS GOTTEN a lot of negative press lately; hazing, binge drinking, and even meningitis spread via “Beer Pong.” However, there is another side to fraternities and sororities that makes them worth pursuing. Here are five reasons to check out Greek life:
- COMMUNITY SERVICE: Almost all fraternities and sororities perform regular community service as a group. That could mean cleaning up a park fundraising for cancer awareness or volunteering at a nonprofit facility like a senior center. Need a few examples? At Bucknell University fraternity chefs competed to raise money for the Million Penny Project. The 12th annual Rutgers University Dance Marathon raised $378,001 for New Brunswick’s Embrace Kids Foundation. At Lehigh University Greek members hold an annual see-saw marathon to raise money for juvenile arthritis and the Huntsman Cancer Foundation. And you thought fundraising was limited to bake sales!
- LIVING QUARTERS: At some schools it’s actually less expensive than living in a dorm room or apartment. Many Greek houses offer communal dining usually prepared by a housemother. These meals can offer a positive social experience as well as a cheaper more efficient alternative to the campus meal plan or the local fast food place. Typically freshman can’t live in chapter houses so you’ve got some time to decide.
- CAREER PURSUITS: Being a member of a fraternity or sorority may work to your advantage when applying for jobs while you’re in college or after graduation. If you held a leadership position for example you can talk about the persuasion skills you acquired as the Vice President of Recruiting. You may also want to mention your participation in the chapter’s community service work. Many fraternities and sororities also offer great networking and mentor opportunities via chapter alumni.
- SOCIAL LIFE: Joining a fraternity or sorority can offer a gentle nudge for those who need help meeting people or a fast track to a huge pool of friends for social butterflies. Each fraternity or sorority hosts events and parties. Likewise your house will receive group invites to events and parties hosted by other Greek organizations. Forget being shy; your new challenge will be learning not to overdo it!
- CAMARADERIE: Of all the reasons students join a sorority or fraternity friendship is no doubt at the top of the list. Ask someone who is in the Greek system right now and they’ll likely tell you that their closest friends are their fellow members. Ask a Greek life alumnus and they’ll likely tell you that the bonds they made decades ago created lifelong friendships.